In 1830 the club received a grant of royal patronage to become known as the Royal Cork Yacht Club. This followed the accession to the throne of William IV who succeeded his father George IV. William was a keen sailor and was popularly known as the Sailor King. His patronage therefore of the now Royal Cork Yacht Club was not surprising. Indeed he granted the royal prefix to several clubs around this time , including the Royal Thames Yacht Club and the Royal Northern Yacht Club
The Admiralty had issued a warrant in 1759 which permitted the club to use certain distinguishing flags and as part of the reorganisation of the club in 1831, applied for a renewal of this warrant. The warrant was duly issued in November 1831 and describes the distinguishing flags of the Royal Cork Yacht Club in detail such as the burgee which was to be Red with yellow harp & crown – just as it remains to the present day.
In addition, following the granting of royal patronage, the RCYC put in place a network of agreements with other countries. The club ensured that its members could enter certain European ports without paying tonnage duties or other charges. The secretary of the RCYC usually sent a full list of members and their yachts to the relevant authorities each year. Amongst the countries which granted these privileges were France, Netherlands, Russia, Spain, Portugal, Denmark and Austria. The club also had agents in several ports including Naples, Cherbourg and Douglas (Isle of Man)