By 1806 the Water Club of the Harbour of Cork had started to refer to itself as the Cork Harbour Water Club. During the 1820s, following the fashion of the few other clubs that had emerged by then, it changed its name to include the word “Yacht” and dropped the word “Water” and became known as the Cork Harbour Yacht Club. Later on that decade it dropped “Harbour” and became the Cork Yacht Club.